Reindeer Feeding and Sami Culture
NOK 1090 per person
After a 25-minute drive from the city centre, you will visit their camp and have a chance to feed the herd of around 200 wild reindeer who will swarm all around and some will even eat from your hands. The reindeer and the Sami have been living and working on this land for centuries and they have only recently invited guests to be part of their daily life.
You will then be invited inside a gamme (a traditional sami hut) where you will be served warm drinks and a traditional Sami meal will be cooked over the fire (vegetarian option available).
After lunch you will be invited into a lavuu (Sami tent) and gather round the fire to listen to stories about Sami culture and how it is to be a reindeer herder. The Sami guide will also perform a joik (traditional Sami song) for the guests.
Adults: 1,090 NOK | Children (6-12): 690 NOK | Children under 6: FREE
- Pick up from Radisson Blu Hotel in Tromsø City Centre at 10 am (morning) or 1pm (afternoon) and 25 min drive to Reindeer Camp
- Feeding of wild Reindeer
- Guests can test lasso throwing (but not on real reindeer)
- Hot drinks (tea, coffee, hot chocolate) around the fire inside a warm candle lit gamme (Traditional Sami Hut)
- Warm lunch of bidos (a traditional Sami soup) with more hot drinks and cookies (vegetarian option possible)
- Storytelling of Sami Culture
- A joik performance (traditional Sami folk song)
- 25 min bus ride back to Tromsø City Centre
- Morning trip Back in Tromsø at around 2pm
- Afternoon Trip back in Tromso around 4pm
DepartureRadisson Blu Hotel, Tromsø
Departure Time10am (occasionally 1pm slot available)
Dress CodeWarm clothes (at least two layers), gloves and hat, good winter boots.
IncludedCoffee and snacksGuidingStorytelling and joikTransferWarm lunchWarm overalls and boots (if required)
Not Included50% discount next day if we don’t spot the lightsA drive by our one of our professional mushersBonfireDinnerGuided tour along the tripHot beverages and cookiesHot drinksHot drinks and snacksHot lunchInstructions on how to take photosKick start tips for a good photoPhotos from the tourPick-up and drop off at your accommodation on Tromsøya islandRain clothes and rubber bootsSandwiches (vegetarian options available)Scenic ViewsSnowshoes and polesThermal suits and boots (on request)Three course dinnerTour in a small group (max 8)TransportationTripodsWarm clothesWi-Fi on board