Night Reindeer Sledding with Dinner and Northern Lights
NOK 1750 per person
This is an experience to feed the reindeer and go reindeer sledding in the nightime, have a traditional sami dinner with the Sami Reindeer Herders while they tell you about their culture and their beliefs. The reindeer and the Sami have been living and working on this land for centuries and they have only recently invited guests to be part of their daily life. After a 25-minute drive from the city centre, you will visit their camp and have a chance to feed the herd of around 200 wild reindeer who will swarm all around and some will even eat from your hands. You will then be invited for Hot drinks (tea, coffee, hot chocolate) around the fire inside a warm candle lit gamme (Traditional Sami Hut) where you will then be served a relaxed three course meal including bidos cooked over the open fire (a traditional Sami stew which is often served at Sami weddings and other special occasions). A vegetarian option is also possible. After dinner you will be invited into a lavuu (Sami tent) and gather round the fire to listen to stories about Sami culture and how it is to be a reindeer herder. The Sami guide will also perform a joik (traditional Sami song) for the guests. If you are lucky and the sky is clear you will have a chance to see the northern lights above the reindeer camp.
Adults: 1,750 NOK | Children (6-12): 975 NOK | Children under 6: FREE
- 6pm Pick up from Radisson Blu Hotel in Tromsø City Centre at 6pm and 25 min drive to Reindeer Camp
- 6.30pm: Arrive at Reindeer Camp and feeding of wild Reindeer and walk around the reindeer camp followed by going on a reindeer sledding ride (approx 25 mins)
- 7.30pm Hot drinks (tea, coffee, hot chocolate) around the fire inside a warm candle lit gamme (Traditional Sami Hut)
- A cold smoked salmon starter, followed by a bidos (a traditional Sami stew) and Sami bread (a vegetarian option is also possible)
- Chocolate cake and blue berry dessert whilst listening to storytelling of Sami Culture and how it is to be a reindeer herder
- A joik performance (traditional Sami folk song)
- Guests will have the opportunity to be outside and try and catch the northern lights.
- Bus ride back to the city center around 10.30pm
DepartureRadisson Blu Hotel, Tromsø
Dress CodeWarm clothes (at least two layers), gloves and hat, good winter boots.
IncludedCoffee and snacksGuidingStorytelling and joikThree course dinnerTransfer
Not Included50% discount next day if we don’t spot the lightsA drive by our one of our professional mushersBonfireDinnerGuided tour along the tripHot beverages and cookiesHot drinksHot drinks and snacksHot lunchInstructions on how to take photosKick start tips for a good photoPhotos from the tourPick-up and drop off at your accommodation on Tromsøya islandRain clothes and rubber bootsSandwiches (vegetarian options available)Scenic ViewsSnowshoes and polesThermal suits and boots (on request)Tour in a small group (max 8)TransportationTripodsWarm clothesWarm lunchWarm overalls and boots (if required)Wi-Fi on board